Monfort Bat Colony

"The Monfort Bat Colony, located in the Monfort Cave on the Samal Island in Mindanao, Philippines, is the largest colony of Geoffroy's Rousette Fruit Bat (Rousettus amplexicaudatus). As per an estimante from Bat Conservation International in 2006, the population in the Monfort cave was approximately 1.8 million.” --- Guinness World Records Ltd.

We don't like bats that much but our curiosity brought us there to witness this natural wonder. International recognition really draws crowd and excites a lot of people.

Located at Babak District, Monfort Bat Colony is very accessible by any vehicle. At first, I was thinking we'll be driving uphill and go through a forest, but to my surprise, the site is actually situated near the seashore! Yes, only a few meters away.


As we approached the cave, we were welcomed by a glorious smell that lifted our soul. It's something we haven't asked in our lives but was abundantly given, haha.

Anyway, as expected, bats were in million. Some were even hanging at the cave openings. I don't know if they allow visitors to do it but if you want to hold one, you surely can. No, I didn't touch any. Not even one was hurt.


Holding a bat is something I already did before. I remember when I was a child, a friend gave me one and I enjoyed playing with it. I like the fur, it's velvety. It's only the smell that always distracts me.

Bats are edible. Yes, it's one of the exotic delicacies in the country. I remember a joke saying that in the Philippines, everything can be eaten. :)

Anyway, after several shots, we left the place. There's no other attractions around. Besides, it's late afternoon and we still have to travel back to Davao. Most especially, we need to save our energy for tomorrow's zipline adventure!

2012

Recently, we went back to the place. This time, with my officemates and their DSLR cameras! We could finally take better photos.


I noticed a lot of improvements. They opened a new road and it was way better. Entrance fee has also improved and it was way painful.



But one improvement I appreciate a lot was they now incorporate a little knowledge and awareness to the tour. Shortly before we started, we were given heads-up and what-nots.


Our guide was so amicable and I could really say that she's fitting for the job. It's pretty obvious that she did a lot of research related to bat's behavior and their ecological importance. That's why, whatever question we threw to her, she always gave a good answer.


And we started the tour.


Some restrictions were already implemented. Fences were added especially at the cave entrance so as not to allow anyone from holding the bats. As we all know, bats are nocturnal and should not be disturbed during the day.




Millions of bats!

Before we left, a souvenir was given to each of us. It's a flat aureate pebble with a message "A golden seed of peace to plant within, nurture and grow." Thank you very much!



Photo credits: Joe & Glochi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kopiat Island

Tagum City

Bamboo